Lindley Law is taking the next step towards becoming Charlotte’s premiere boutique litigation firm. With the purchase of 326 West Tenth Street in the historic Fourth Ward neighborhood of uptown Charlotte, Lindley Law will have space for growth and development. Conveniently located between exits 3B and 4 off I-277, it is only a mile and a half from our current office location and two blocks from Fourth Ward Park. Our moving date is to be determined, but will occur between mid-September and mid-January.
There are fifteen offices total within the building, though Lindley Law will only occupy a few of those at the onset. The remainder will be rented out to other small businesses, such as solo attorneys, CPAs, or architects. If you are interested in renting one or more of the offices, please give us a call at 704-457-1010.
Built in 1901, the five-bedroom house once stood at 510 North Church Street across the street from the McNinch house and beside First Methodist Church. In the 1970s, many of the houses in Fourth Ward had fallen into disrepair as the trolley lines extended into the suburbs and families moved further from the city center. However, a great revitalization project in the Fourth Ward began in the early 1970s. Hugh McColl, Jr. of North Carolina National Bank (now Bank of America) and Dennis Rash, Dean of Students at UNC Charlotte, engineered the revitalization by arranging for new homeowners to get discount interest rates for mortgages on homes in the neighborhood.
The team they put in place to carry out their vision scoured Charlotte’s neighborhoods for Victorian homes to move to Fourth Ward. John William McClung decided to move his house on Church Street over to West Tenth Street. It was the first of many relocated houses in the neighborhood and was conducted in the middle of the night. It was such an historic event the local paper put the move on the front page.
In 1984, the neoclassically inspired house was purchased by Chuck Lew who converted it into an office building for his consulting company Coleman Lew and Associates. The house boasts a beautiful front porch with white Corinthian columns and room for rocking chairs. Former owner Mary Lithgow McClung spent a great deal of her time on the porch in a swing whose hooks still remain. The conference room was converted from a library where Mr. McClung would sit by the fire with the books he had acquired over his long career as an educator. The four fireplaces and stately magnolia only add to its appeal as a classic Southern home and we are very excited to call it our home-away-from home in the coming months.
With our eyes toward the future of Lindley Law, we would be remiss if we did not mention our past. Lindley Law first opened in 2014 with Trey occupying a single office in the Justice Building at the invitation of Ralph and Claudia Clontz of Clontz & Clontz. Now that Lindley Law occupys four of their offices, it is clear their patience and generosity are unparalleled. With their gracious and unending support, Lindley Law has grown into a firm that is ready for the next step. There are not enough words to express how grateful we are to them and how much we will miss them when we are gone.
Once we move, we hope you will all come visit us at our new office, even if to just say hello, take a tour, or relax in the rocking chairs.